Here are answers to the Top 10 most frequently asked questions about powder coating.
If you haven’t heard powder coating is a fast-growing industry. More and more people are coming to custom powder coaters to get their everyday metal projects done.
1. WHY POWDER COAT? A powder coated finish offers superior scratch, impact and chemical resistance to metal, wood & even glass products.
2. WHAT ARE EVERYDAY USES? Powder coating is used in automotive, industrial applications for personal, residential & commercial metal projects.
3. WHAT CAN BE POWDER COATED? Everything from rims to railings, gate, furniture, lighting, fixtures, furnishings, venting, auto & mechanical parts – just to name a few.
4. WHICH METALS CAN BE COATED? Aluminum, Galvanized Steel, Stainless & Steel Alloys and some solid Cast Metals. Provided it can hold an electrostatic charge.
5. WHAT POWDERS ARE BEST? Although there are indoor powders, outdoor-rated powders like TGIC, Polyesters & Urethanes have the most functionality.
6. WHAT ARE FINISHES AVAILABLE? Smooth, textured, hammer tone and veins-just to name a few. Smooth finishes come in Super Mirror, Semi-Gloss, Satin & Matte.
7. HOW IS IT APPLIED? Through a process of electrolysis whereby the metal and powder is charged and then cured in an oven up to 400 degrees.
8. HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO CURE? Not that long, depending on the size & weight it can take as little as 30min. What’s important is that the powder ‘flow out’ during the curing process.
9. HOW LONG WILL IT LAST? Generally, metal coatings can last up to 10 years or longer depending on the environment, quality of coating & type of powder.
10. IS POWDER COATING SAFE? Yes, in fact, because of the low VOCs. When compared to liquid paint it is far safer for people & the environment.
To get more specific answers about our company and services go to our FAQs page.
Maui Powder Works is committed to sharing their experience in metal coatings, painting, and restoration so customers can navigate the process of powder coating and make the best choices for getting their projects done. RossKote regularly contributes helpful videos on his blog and YouTube channel.
Join us. As we build a powder coating community online to share our passion for performance finishes by subscribing to our blog below.
Connect with us. What would you like to know more about? I love to answer everyday questions to the consumer market wants to know about powder coating.